Preventative maintenance or regular servicing is something that we all do, or should do, with different things we regularly use.
You may service your car on a regular basis to ensure it runs as it should and the gas boiler in your house is maintained to keep it safe.
This is preventative maintenance and people do it because it is proven to work, and it is the same with your computer. A maintained computer is likely to serve you 20 per cent longer than a non-maintained system.
Regularly servicing your computer equipment will extend its useful lifetime, make it run faster, and reduce the likelihood of it letting you down.
What is included in our computer service?
- Manually check through all Programs for any ‘bad’ or ‘unnecessary’ ones that could potentially cause harm, or could contribute towards slow performance
- Thoroughly check through all web browsers such as Edge, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. This is to check for ‘Bad’ Add on’s, extensions, and search providers that could hijack home pages, re-direct your searches, or allow pop-up advertisements to appear all the time
- Run all essential program and Operating System updates – This consists of updating Windows or OSX, and Adobe Reader, these programs are susceptible to security risks and it is important to ensure they are kept up to date. Also, manufacturer software and driver updates such as HP, Dell, and Toshiba Update etc
- Check all the right services are running as they should, and that none are turned off that shouldn’t be
- We use a program called CCleaner which removes temporary and junk internet files and also fixes issues that may be occurring in the registry. We turn off any unnecessary start-up programs It is known to help speed the system up
- Check that there is an up-to-date either free or paid for Antivirus program that is running. If there is a non-functioning antivirus program or no antivirus then we will discuss the available options with you
- We will check the System specification to ensure there is enough RAM (Random Access Memory). If we feel that a RAM upgrade would be beneficial we will discuss this with you
If your computer has further problems, we will call you and advise on any next steps and any additional costs. For example – a corrupted Operating System, virus and malware infections, or suspected hardware failure.
A full service covering all of the above topics costs £80.00 (Inc VAT)