What to do if scammers have accessed your PC? If you gave permission to the caller to access your computer, you should no longer consider it to be safe or clean.
They might have installed programs, changed settings, or even installed a virus. In short, you can no longer trust it.
Banks and other institutions recommend that you get your computer checked over by a professional…
That’s where we can help.
If you suspect that you’ve been a victim of a scam whether that be by phone or email, don’t panic. We provide a thorough security check-up covering the topics below to give you the peace of mind that your computer is ‘clean’ and can be used again safely.
- Remove any remote access software that the scammers have installed on your PC
- Check the file integrity of Windows for any removed, corrupt or damaged files
- Make sure your anti-virus software hasn’t been removed and is working correctly
- If you don’t have an Antivirus program we will discuss the options with you
- Scan your computer for malware. They may have installed password stealers or other Trojans to capture your keystrokes. We will use multiple tools to complete system scans and remove any infections
- You should change all your passwords (Windows password, email, banking, etc)
- If there are a lot of issues, we may use System Restore or if it’s not available, other backups you may have made and stored somewhere else to restore you to a point before the event
- In some cases, even if you avoided paying the scammers, they’ll seek revenge on your machine. Such as, master password lockout, encryption and removal of drivers
Our standard cost for a security check is £50.00* inc VAT.
* In some cases, it maybe more. If it is going to be, we will discuss it with you before we proceed.